My fickle friend, the summer wind . . .
I've been back two weeks now and I can barely believe that the summer is almost over. My aunt's family has left and the house is eerily quiet. Too quiet.
It's probably for the best though as I swear I was turning back into a kid again. My little nephew is a brat (a loveable brat but a brat nonetheless) and I had fun playing mean pranks on him (giving him forks when he asked for spoons, pretending to steal his leggo). His favorite thing to do was to suddenly come running into the room and then jump on me.
This was Ok for hte most part except that once he'd landed on me, he'd continue to stomp around with his feet and step all over my stomach, my legs, my head and my face . . . and then he'd sit down and fart. And then he'd look all innocent while all of us went "AWWWWWW SAMUEL! YOU FARTED!"
And he'd be like, "I DIDN'T POOTED" and look all offended. Then he'd grab up his favorite toy which is this bedraggled beanie baby horse he refers to as Neigh-neigh and shout, "NEIGH-NEIGH POOTED!"
Good times. Good times.
In other news, I went to Thinh's house for a lovely dinner last night. I think it will be the last get-together of the summer for me. I leave for Saskatoon tomorrow and really, I should be packing. Ah well.
The dinner was Ok for the most part and I ended up making a red-wine risotto which turned out looking like someone had puked in the pan after a good meal of rice and mushrooms. It was awful!!! Fortunately, everyone was kind enough to try some and despite looking like vomit, it tasted decent. I just hope we're not all sick today. Hugh and I are sick anyways so we can't tell, but I'm hoping that the rest of you survived that horrid risotto.
Luckily, I made meatloaf which no one ended up eating either. Sigh. A culinary disaster on par with the time Karen made canned oyster, mozzarella and ketchup pizza with congee.
In the meantime, I am packing and doing laundry. I've just posted up all my Hong Kong photos so you can check them out on my flickr site which is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dying_giraffe/
Hooray internet.
The rain in Calgary has been awful and somewhere amongst all the storms and winds, our internet connection died. I called up the Shaw people at 7:45 in the morning as I was jet lagged and was tired of wandering around aimlessly. Ended up botching up the whole phone call as I was semi-asleep and wanted to say "That's great. Thanks. Bye." but ended up saying, "That's granks. Buh."
The girl started laughing at me on the other end of the phone and I mumbled something and hung up and dove for the coffee my dad had just brewed.
Then the Shaw cable guy came and fixed the internet and I told him he was my hero for the day. Then when I asked if he could tell me what was wrong with our internet in the first place, he said, "But if I told you, then you'd never have to call me out here again to fix it." And then looked all mysterious and left.
What a weirdo.
There's something about those Cable Guys . . .
Well, am off to drink pepto bismol now. I had a horrid sinus infection all week which left me little more than a crying miserable ball in my bed with a hot bean bag on my head and an overdose of Advil. I thought it was one of my migraines but then it only hurt on the left side of my head so I was confused until Karen examined me and gave me a prescription for some hardcore antibiotics. The antibiotics gave me horrible tummy aches and nausea though and as a result, I'm forming a pepto bismol 'habit' now. It all started with those stupid drugs I took in Hong Kong! That I had never started this downward spiral of over the counter drug addiction!
After KAren gave me the antibiotics, she told me to steam my head so I ended up going to the kitchen and sitting at the island over a giant bowl of hot water with a huge beach towel covering my head. My aunt wandered downstairs when I was in such a state and is convinced I'm insane.
That's not to say she didn't think I was insane before. Gabriel sent me this really funny emoticon on MSN of this smiley stick guy who pours gasoline all over himself and then takes out a huge lighter and sets himself on fire and then burns up. It's funny cus the guy is smiling the whole time and looks all happy. It's funny. I swear!
Anyhow, somehow or the other, my little cousins saw that emoticon when I was messaging Gabe and started laughing cus they thought it was hilarious too. So the next day, we're sitting in the minivan with my aunt and my little couz Hana pipes up "And Vivian showed us this cool sticker on her e-mail (she thinks emoticons are stickers. Go figure) of this stick guy," she paused for breath and I started to panic. "And the stick guy pours, um, gasoline all over himself . . ."
I tried desperately to reach my arm over to cover her mouth but the seatbelt was too strong for me.
". . .and then, the guy takes out this lighter and sets himself on fire!"
I thought I was going to faint and my aunt just sat in the front seat with this stunned expression on her face.
" . . . and it was so funny!"
My aunt turned around and looked at me.
"That's not funny at all."
I just sat in my seat and hoped that by some miracle, I would melt into the upholstery. Would that I had a lighter and some gasoline at that point. My aunt was not amused.
Sigh.
And that's it for now. Am late for a Japanese dinner with Karen. She's on some crazy diet where she can only eat X amount of grams per meal. I hope she doesn't bring her scale with her to dinner. Ugh!
Good bye everyone and enjoy what's left of the summer.
-Vivian the Bad Babysitter
PS: Random thought of the day: Hugh and Hildy. Almost sounds like Mork and Mindy.
PPS: Maybe I should tamper with Karen's food scale. Surely there is a way to make it seem like all her food weighs 5g less than it actually does? MUhahaHAHAhahaha
It's probably for the best though as I swear I was turning back into a kid again. My little nephew is a brat (a loveable brat but a brat nonetheless) and I had fun playing mean pranks on him (giving him forks when he asked for spoons, pretending to steal his leggo). His favorite thing to do was to suddenly come running into the room and then jump on me.
This was Ok for hte most part except that once he'd landed on me, he'd continue to stomp around with his feet and step all over my stomach, my legs, my head and my face . . . and then he'd sit down and fart. And then he'd look all innocent while all of us went "AWWWWWW SAMUEL! YOU FARTED!"
And he'd be like, "I DIDN'T POOTED" and look all offended. Then he'd grab up his favorite toy which is this bedraggled beanie baby horse he refers to as Neigh-neigh and shout, "NEIGH-NEIGH POOTED!"
Good times. Good times.
In other news, I went to Thinh's house for a lovely dinner last night. I think it will be the last get-together of the summer for me. I leave for Saskatoon tomorrow and really, I should be packing. Ah well.
The dinner was Ok for the most part and I ended up making a red-wine risotto which turned out looking like someone had puked in the pan after a good meal of rice and mushrooms. It was awful!!! Fortunately, everyone was kind enough to try some and despite looking like vomit, it tasted decent. I just hope we're not all sick today. Hugh and I are sick anyways so we can't tell, but I'm hoping that the rest of you survived that horrid risotto.
Luckily, I made meatloaf which no one ended up eating either. Sigh. A culinary disaster on par with the time Karen made canned oyster, mozzarella and ketchup pizza with congee.
In the meantime, I am packing and doing laundry. I've just posted up all my Hong Kong photos so you can check them out on my flickr site which is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dying_giraffe/
Hooray internet.
The rain in Calgary has been awful and somewhere amongst all the storms and winds, our internet connection died. I called up the Shaw people at 7:45 in the morning as I was jet lagged and was tired of wandering around aimlessly. Ended up botching up the whole phone call as I was semi-asleep and wanted to say "That's great. Thanks. Bye." but ended up saying, "That's granks. Buh."
The girl started laughing at me on the other end of the phone and I mumbled something and hung up and dove for the coffee my dad had just brewed.
Then the Shaw cable guy came and fixed the internet and I told him he was my hero for the day. Then when I asked if he could tell me what was wrong with our internet in the first place, he said, "But if I told you, then you'd never have to call me out here again to fix it." And then looked all mysterious and left.
What a weirdo.
There's something about those Cable Guys . . .
Well, am off to drink pepto bismol now. I had a horrid sinus infection all week which left me little more than a crying miserable ball in my bed with a hot bean bag on my head and an overdose of Advil. I thought it was one of my migraines but then it only hurt on the left side of my head so I was confused until Karen examined me and gave me a prescription for some hardcore antibiotics. The antibiotics gave me horrible tummy aches and nausea though and as a result, I'm forming a pepto bismol 'habit' now. It all started with those stupid drugs I took in Hong Kong! That I had never started this downward spiral of over the counter drug addiction!
After KAren gave me the antibiotics, she told me to steam my head so I ended up going to the kitchen and sitting at the island over a giant bowl of hot water with a huge beach towel covering my head. My aunt wandered downstairs when I was in such a state and is convinced I'm insane.
That's not to say she didn't think I was insane before. Gabriel sent me this really funny emoticon on MSN of this smiley stick guy who pours gasoline all over himself and then takes out a huge lighter and sets himself on fire and then burns up. It's funny cus the guy is smiling the whole time and looks all happy. It's funny. I swear!
Anyhow, somehow or the other, my little cousins saw that emoticon when I was messaging Gabe and started laughing cus they thought it was hilarious too. So the next day, we're sitting in the minivan with my aunt and my little couz Hana pipes up "And Vivian showed us this cool sticker on her e-mail (she thinks emoticons are stickers. Go figure) of this stick guy," she paused for breath and I started to panic. "And the stick guy pours, um, gasoline all over himself . . ."
I tried desperately to reach my arm over to cover her mouth but the seatbelt was too strong for me.
". . .and then, the guy takes out this lighter and sets himself on fire!"
I thought I was going to faint and my aunt just sat in the front seat with this stunned expression on her face.
" . . . and it was so funny!"
My aunt turned around and looked at me.
"That's not funny at all."
I just sat in my seat and hoped that by some miracle, I would melt into the upholstery. Would that I had a lighter and some gasoline at that point. My aunt was not amused.
Sigh.
And that's it for now. Am late for a Japanese dinner with Karen. She's on some crazy diet where she can only eat X amount of grams per meal. I hope she doesn't bring her scale with her to dinner. Ugh!
Good bye everyone and enjoy what's left of the summer.
-Vivian the Bad Babysitter
PS: Random thought of the day: Hugh and Hildy. Almost sounds like Mork and Mindy.
PPS: Maybe I should tamper with Karen's food scale. Surely there is a way to make it seem like all her food weighs 5g less than it actually does? MUhahaHAHAhahaha


1 Comments:
Hey Vivian,
Cool photos of Hong Kong. Looks like another planet but very interesting and busy-looking. And kudos on being the cooler older cousin - they will remember those times (for better and worse). Sucks that you're going back so soon - I barely got to catch up with you last night! Sigh. The risotto was yummy though, I think my stomache only hurt because I ate too much of it! Anyways, have a safe trip back to Sasktown, which apparently has the most summer days in the country (go figure!).
Post a Comment
<< Home