Thursday, August 11, 2005

Not all bugs need drugs

Hey all!

Have limited time and energy to type out anything of significance. I'm using my aunt and uncle's ancient computer at the moment with it's awesome 56K modem connection. How I survived highschool with a 56K connection, I'll never know. Anyhow, was actually trying to get a message out to Gabriel. Gabey, if you read this, you can e-mail me back or post a message on this site. Bloody Chinese hotmail won't let me check my messages and I can't figure out how to cahnge the internet options so that the internet browser goes back to English. I am totally illiterate in Chinese and it's driving me nuts. On the cool side, Blogger was in Chinese too! Luckily, I am so familiar with the set up that I had no problems navigating around. The keyboard has Chinese letters on it and it's kinda neat but confusing.

Anyhow, I got super sick here (Thanks for nothing Trylon) and had a sore throat and cough for two days now. I thought it wasthe pollution but then i started coughing and then I KNEW it was Trylon disease. Next thing you know, I was totally fevering and then started feeling really cold but sweating buckets. This, of course, all happened on the cable car up to Ocean Park. I dry swallowed some tylenol which kept me going till the night when I took some Motrin. Anyhow, my uncle gave me some chinese medicine and I was up all night with a fever and chills and nightmares. I got sore and achey everywhere and even the blankets felt like they were chafing me. IT got super cold, i started sweating again and then I got too warm and too cold again. Brutal. I ended up cranking up the air con but was still really warm and sweating but my aunt freaked when she came into my room this morning cus she said it was freezing in there and gave me some long sleeve t-shirts to wear which made me sweat even more. (attractive non?)

Anyhow, had to cancel my tour to see the giant Buddah on Lantau island this mroning as a result of my illness. Really wanted to see the giant buddha cus it looked cool but realise it would have been pointless for me. I'll just get a postcard. The other places I would have gone to on the tour were the biggest and oldest buddhist temples in hong kong and since I'm wary of such things, I guess I'm not missing much. Still, it would have been an experience but I just had to go and get sick! Argh! STAMOS!

Right, well, my aunt dragged me to the private doctor this morning. She didn't understand why privatized health care was unfair. Bless her capitalist heart. Anyhow, I didn't want to go to the doctor cus I figured it was viral but she ended up dragging me anyways as she (and the majority of Hongers) is a hypochondriac and loves going to the doctor. I go into the doctor's office and my aunt tells him I am from Canadia and that I am in vet school and he goes into this tirade about how hard it is to go into vet school and how much work it is and how it's harder than medicine and all this stuff. And I was like "yes, well, it's a lot more to learn. I mean, you guys only have to learn about one animal but I have to learn about lots of-" and then he cuts me off and is like "I mean, you guys have to TALK TO THE ANIMALS" "Well, I don't know if it's really talking to them so much as being thorough in our examination of them." "No. You guys have to find a way to COMMUNICATE with them. GET THROUGH to them. UNDERSTAND the animals."

I guess he thought I was some sort of Dr. Doolittle and seemed like he was in awe of me.

Anyhow, I'm fairly certain that what I have is viral but then the doc ends up giving me a whack load of drugs. I have cough syrup now for my lame cough which contains codein and coccillana or something like that. Then I got amoxycillin which I am supposed to take for only 5 days (yay to breeding super resistant strains of bacteria!) then I got an anti inflammatory enzyme for my throat (lysozyme, isn't htat what I use in programmed cell death?) which I am to take for three days, then I got some paracetamol for my fever and some strepsils for my throat. Crazy I tells ya! It's was like a hypochondriac's dream. Oh, and I forgot. There's some sort of stomach medicine to take with the antibiotics so it doesn't ruin my stomach lining or something like that. Anyhow, my aunt forced me to take the codein cough syrup and the lysozyme stuff just now. i thought I'd write to you (Gabey) just to make sure the lysozyme stuff won't kill me. And isn't codein just a bit drastic for a slight cough? Isn't it addictive? I asked my uncle that and he was like "OF COURSE IT'S ADDICTIVE!" Mind you, he thinks everything is addictive as he is the head of the social department for hte aid and rehabilitation of drugs abusers here in Hong Kong. He said that hte biggest problems now in Hong Kong are heroin and ecstasy. Then he looked all concerned and asked if I'd tried either and I was toyed with the idea of lying and saying that I had but I didnn't think he had the sense of humour to get the joke.

Right, well, the codein cougfh syrup did diddly squat as I am still coughing. Boo-urns. i hope I don't give it to my little cousins when I go home. Maybe I should start wearing a mask around like all the locals here. I guess that they haven't really gotten over SARS yet. Poor hypochondriacs and germ phobes.

I promise to type up good blogs when I get back to a place with a plug-in for my laptop and broadband. I've been keeping a journal of all the activities I've been doing everyday ehre. It's been awesome so far except for my being sick. It's all I thought it would be and so much more. My aunt had to cut me off from buying anymore clothes and accessories. She saw my huge tupperware container of all my necklaces that I use when I travel and refused to let me buy more the other day. I had to wait until she went to the store beside me to buy some necklaces and bracelets. Tee hee. Can't keep a good accessory addict down. Mind you, my favorite purchase so far is a hilarious pink t-shirt featuring a really cute, sad-looking, pug dog on it. I bought it for the words though. It says,
"CHARLES:
hic!
The saddest dog in the world,
featuring TERROR HICCUPS!
BOW WOW?"

Come on. I just HAD to get it. It just works on so many levels.

Right. tMorrow, I head to MAcau with my uncle. hopefully I will feel better by then.

Gotta go for some congee and some oil sticks now. My autn and uncle are totally spoiling me since I got here and especially now that I am sick.

Great, I've gone on for far more than I thought I would. I bet this won't post cus it's so freaking long and their connection is so slow. Ah well!

Take care and kill Trylon for me if this damned flu hasn't killed him already.

Mwa!

-Vivian

2 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

"It's THE THING!! Like, THE THING!! THE THING!! IT'S A THING!! THING!"
-dog that suddenly develops the ability to talk in Dexter's Lab, or whatever cartoon that was.

WHATCA GET ME? WHATCHA GET ME?!!

get well soon.

Take the drugs. Touch the drugs. Lick the drugs. Lickthedrugs, lickthedrugs, lickthedru...

I'M DONE MY THESIS!! WHOOHOO!!!!

(and I'm not drunk. I juss a liddle not shober...)

~Somebody. I'm not going to say who. But I think you might know her velly weeeelllll....!!!

5:57 p.m.  
Blogger JM said...

Feel better, soon, Vivian! Enjoy your time in Hong Kong. See you in Calgary soon.

7:47 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

I'm an insane vet stuck in an insane world with an equally insane bunny (who is now only with us in spirit)



Confessions of an Overachiever
Journogirl
No Cash Value
Frying Sheep
The Ethnography of Me
Pomegranate
All about me...and others
Lagerstatten
Drive
Jen and John's wedding blog
Post Secret
WCHS people
time-wastey goodness
Devil ducky
Weebls
Sudoku
Scrubs character quiz
PBF
Rotten Tomatoes
Pandora
Web.tickle

artsy fartsy silly stuff
Pixelgirl
Deviant art
Popyura
Yumiko
Project Gutenberg
My Flickr page

shopping
Paper-doll
Pixelgirl shop
Chapters/Indigo
Snazzy-girl
OMG I want it

geeking out
Tree of Life
National Geographic
MerckVetManual
CIA World Factbook
Agripedia
Google Maps
Yahoo widgets
            
 

Powered by Blogger

Free Blog Counter