Funky Chicken Disease
I'm suffering from the world's nastiest cold. I'm like a leaky snot faucet at the moment and I think I've sneezed on almost everyone in my class. No matter though as my WHOLE class is sick too.
My theory is that when everyone goes home to their respective provinces for Christmas, they bring in the new germs and then give it to everyone when they come back to Saskatoon. It's like a veritable buffet of bacteria and viruses. Nasty.
Speaking of funky viruses, my latest rant is about avian influenza.
First of all, I don't believe it's been proven to be transmissible between humans. You can only get it from birds and you need LOTS of contact with birds to get it at that. All human cases so far have been linked to poultry workers or people working in areas with lots of birds and poultry (the little kids in Turkey were throwing dead chicken heads around).
So get this. Apparently ALL the Med and Nursing students at the U of S had a mandatory fitting for respirators and face mask to protect them from avian influenza. Did the vet students get fitted for anything? NO. The only reason we even heard about it is that some girl in our class is dating a med guy right now!
Now why on earth would the med and nursing students need face masks and respirators to protect them from avian flu?! When the heck do they ever get in contact with chickens?!! Last time a chicken got into the U of S hospital, I'm pretty sure it was breaded, deep-fried and shoved in a bucket with Colonel Sanders slapped on the front.
Meanwhile, vet students do duck and geese handling labs, dissect dead chickens all day with only a pair of latex gloves to protect them and wrestle sick wild birds during their lunch hours.
Go figure.
No wonder we're all sick.
Ah well.
Tonight, I get to cut up a fresh dead dog. The first years are doing their terminal dog labs and the pathology club (the club of vet students who like dead stuff) have access to the dead bodies afterwards to do fresh autopsies (necropsies). Should be fun.
In the meantime, I'm passing the hours by playing my latest addiction (moving on from Spider Solitaire and Text Twist): Sudoku
I'm only up to level 9 but it's pretty easy so far. There's 75 levels in total. You can even get a Sudoku widget from Konfabulator! WhooooOoooOooOOooo.
Till next time, load up on the echinacea and drink lots of fluids!
My theory is that when everyone goes home to their respective provinces for Christmas, they bring in the new germs and then give it to everyone when they come back to Saskatoon. It's like a veritable buffet of bacteria and viruses. Nasty.
Speaking of funky viruses, my latest rant is about avian influenza.
First of all, I don't believe it's been proven to be transmissible between humans. You can only get it from birds and you need LOTS of contact with birds to get it at that. All human cases so far have been linked to poultry workers or people working in areas with lots of birds and poultry (the little kids in Turkey were throwing dead chicken heads around).
So get this. Apparently ALL the Med and Nursing students at the U of S had a mandatory fitting for respirators and face mask to protect them from avian influenza. Did the vet students get fitted for anything? NO. The only reason we even heard about it is that some girl in our class is dating a med guy right now!
Now why on earth would the med and nursing students need face masks and respirators to protect them from avian flu?! When the heck do they ever get in contact with chickens?!! Last time a chicken got into the U of S hospital, I'm pretty sure it was breaded, deep-fried and shoved in a bucket with Colonel Sanders slapped on the front.
Meanwhile, vet students do duck and geese handling labs, dissect dead chickens all day with only a pair of latex gloves to protect them and wrestle sick wild birds during their lunch hours.
Go figure.
No wonder we're all sick.
Ah well.
Tonight, I get to cut up a fresh dead dog. The first years are doing their terminal dog labs and the pathology club (the club of vet students who like dead stuff) have access to the dead bodies afterwards to do fresh autopsies (necropsies). Should be fun.
In the meantime, I'm passing the hours by playing my latest addiction (moving on from Spider Solitaire and Text Twist): Sudoku
I'm only up to level 9 but it's pretty easy so far. There's 75 levels in total. You can even get a Sudoku widget from Konfabulator! WhooooOoooOooOOooo.
Till next time, load up on the echinacea and drink lots of fluids!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home