Pucker up!
So I got my anatomy midterm mark back today and was absolutely inconsolable for about 5 minutes before I ate two homemade peanut butter cookies that my secret santa gave me and realised that it was simply one exam of many and that the damned thing was only worth 15% of my total mark. STILL! I hate doing badly and you'd think that after surviving MathIB, I'd be used to seeing bad marks. It is very disheartening when one has spent one entire night cramming for a damned exam and one does badly.
*stops and pauses to think a bit*
OK. Fine. So I shouldn't feel bad. Twas me own fault for not studying earlier. At least I've learned my lesson. I will never wait till the last minute to study ever again.
And since I have two very important and challenging final exams next week which I haven't started studying for yet, I've decided to use my time wisely right now by writing a review of all the different chapsticks I've ever had the fun of trying. Ngoc, this is for you.
Blistex: I've found that in terms of moisturizing, "blistex" is excellent although blistex usually tastes like total crap. Perhaps their berry flavoured ones are better. I haven't tried those yet. The little blue container of the blistex lip medex (or whatever it is called) was utterly amazing but tasted like that minty stuff that old poeple rub on their joints (ew!). Still, it's the prefect choice if you need intense moisture for outdoor sports and stuff in the winter (I think it also had SPF protection in it). Joanne bought their Blistex extreme moisture or Moisturex (or whatever it was called) and I tried some of that and hated it. It felt really cool going on cus it feel exactly like you are putting awter on your lips, but like water, it evaporated quickly and if anything, dried out my lips.
Chapstick: The original "chapstick" brand is similar to lobello but it has that wonderful cherry and strawberry flavour. Their original flavour is very similar to lobello but coats more thickly and thus, lasts longer. A total classic and nostalgic of childhood.
Lipsmackerss/Bonnebell: Well, these obviously have the best flavours in the world. Lipsmackers tend to coat onto my lips too thickly but are relatively long-lasting. They are also sticky and if using a pale coloured lipsmacker, I tend to look like a corpse. Nonetheless, one of my all-time favorites is the Lipsmacker lip gloss that looks like a little lighter. Those were awesome!! They glide on smoothly and are moisturizing, evenly spread and very yummy. I think they are discontinued though. I have tried the coloured version of lipsmackers called "Liplix by Bonnebell" but those don't last long and are kind of grainy feeling.
Natural Ice: My current favorite is "Natural Ice" in the strawberry flavour. This goes on clear and leaves a nice tingly minty feeling and comes in a convenient two-pac in case you lose one. Joanne claims it coats the lips too much, but I don't find that.
Burt's Bees: Burt's Bees chapstick was OK, but it was very grainy and felt like I was spreading peanut butter on my lips. It was also pure white which made me look seriously like a corpse. Perhaps their lip salves are better, but I hate how I have to dip my finger into the little can thing. Burt's bees is also very expensive, but it is good for the environment!!!!
The Body Shop: The body shop had some nice lipglosses out last Christmas which were nice. In general, I don't like dipping my fingers into a jar to spread on my lips as I find it rather unhygienic and sticky, but the body shop flavours were so wonderful that I made an exception (the raspberry, I beleive,was the nicest one). They also have lip butters (smaller versions of their wonderful body butters ), but I found that they do not taste as nice as one would like.
Softlips: These are found in general grocery stores and look very narrow. I found that these glide on smoothly but last all of 10 seconds in terms of moisturizers and leave a wierd waxy taste in my mouth. They also have the misfortune of resembling tampons and more than once, people have thought I dropped my tampons out of my pocket when, in fact, it was the stupid softlips. I do not like softlips and will probably not buy it again.
Loreal Rouge Pulp: I don't think these are meant as lip moisturizers and probably fall more into the category of lipglosses. THey are not very moisturizing and are kind of sticky but htey taste wonderful (like strawberries)!!!! The clear rouge pulp was my favorite. I also got a coloured one before but the clear one was better for everyday use.
Neutrogena: I really didn't like hte neutrogena chapstick. It tasted really waxy and gross and also was way too thick. You'd be better with lobello! The only pro I can think of is that it has SPF 15 (which is basically nothing so why bother?? other brands offer sun protection to, but for an indoor-trapped studnet like myself, it's not a biggie)
Rialto naturals: This is a brand that is available at Shopper's Drug mart. THey have the best and yummiest lipglosses ever!!!! They are more clear and gel-like than the BOdy Shop lip glosses, but you also need to dip your finger into the little jar to put it on your lips. Nonetheless, the mango flavour is to die for. In terms of moisture, I remember them being too yummy to last long enough on my lips to be moisturizing. Jaws eventually ate my raspberry flavoured one (boo-urns).
DuWop Lip venom: I tried some of this at Sephora in the states but I don't think it's available in Canada. It's this super spicy lip gloss that basically causes an inflammation reaction in your lips to make them more red and poofier (sort of like a collagen injection). Seeing as I have poofy lips already, it didn't do me much good (plus it was expensive) but I thought it was super neat. Use with extreme caution.
NYC/Caroline: These are super cheap brands found at your friendly local Superstore. THe only thing really going for Caroline is that it is super cheap. IT doesn't moisturize very well and it tastes like nasty lipstick. NYC is a lot better and their strawberry flavoured clear roll-on lip gloss kicks ass! IT's relatively moisturizing (which is wierd for a lip gloss) and it stays shiny for about 2 hours (not bad for something htat costs under two bucks). It is also superbly yummy (as you can tell, I'm obsessed with strawberry flavoured lipstuff) and comes in other flavours like kiwi, punch, watermelon and something else I can't remember.
Vaseline intensive lipcare: These don't seem to be as popular in the stores as they used to be. I remember them as being really cool cus you'd squeeze a bit out and spread it on with a rounded tip. They were relatively moisturizing but kind of greasy and sticky. Not too bad though. I wouldn't mind getting more if I can find it anywhere!
And that concludes my review of some of the many chapsticks I've tried. Should I fail Histology and Biochem next week, I can at leat have the legitimate excuse that it was all in the name of chapstick.
And now, off for a well deserved nap. It's gotta be in the genes Jo cus I feel like hibernating and laying on fat in the winter too. It is -20 outside today and supposed -28 with windchill. It took all my self-will to leave my apartment this morning. Damned avacado toque has made its inevitable return.
Take care everyone! Good luck with finals. And for goodness sakes, don't wait till the last minute to study. Take it from someone who's been on the dark side (And is probably still there).
PS: I got to play with llamas today. LLAMAFACE! They are simply adorable, but I was quickly made aware of thier sex lives which ruined them completely for me. My prof stood there making llama orgasm sounds for about ten minutes. Apparently, llama sex lasts between 45 minutes to an hour and the males have a special compound in their semen which causes the females to ovulate. Otherwise, the females don't ovulate and their ova just regress in their ovaries. Pretty nifty stuff. Oh, and when llamas spit, they're actually puking their stomach juice all over you. I'm serious! They kind of throw up in their mouths and then spit it at you. Memories of one fateful day when I was about 5 years old and standing in a petting zoo with a pissed-off llama come to my mind. I am mortified to know that what was gooey and all over my face was actually llama stomach juice. And that's when I knew I wanted to be a vet . . . yeah right. What am I doing here?
So I got my anatomy midterm mark back today and was absolutely inconsolable for about 5 minutes before I ate two homemade peanut butter cookies that my secret santa gave me and realised that it was simply one exam of many and that the damned thing was only worth 15% of my total mark. STILL! I hate doing badly and you'd think that after surviving MathIB, I'd be used to seeing bad marks. It is very disheartening when one has spent one entire night cramming for a damned exam and one does badly.
*stops and pauses to think a bit*
OK. Fine. So I shouldn't feel bad. Twas me own fault for not studying earlier. At least I've learned my lesson. I will never wait till the last minute to study ever again.
And since I have two very important and challenging final exams next week which I haven't started studying for yet, I've decided to use my time wisely right now by writing a review of all the different chapsticks I've ever had the fun of trying. Ngoc, this is for you.
Blistex: I've found that in terms of moisturizing, "blistex" is excellent although blistex usually tastes like total crap. Perhaps their berry flavoured ones are better. I haven't tried those yet. The little blue container of the blistex lip medex (or whatever it is called) was utterly amazing but tasted like that minty stuff that old poeple rub on their joints (ew!). Still, it's the prefect choice if you need intense moisture for outdoor sports and stuff in the winter (I think it also had SPF protection in it). Joanne bought their Blistex extreme moisture or Moisturex (or whatever it was called) and I tried some of that and hated it. It felt really cool going on cus it feel exactly like you are putting awter on your lips, but like water, it evaporated quickly and if anything, dried out my lips.
Chapstick: The original "chapstick" brand is similar to lobello but it has that wonderful cherry and strawberry flavour. Their original flavour is very similar to lobello but coats more thickly and thus, lasts longer. A total classic and nostalgic of childhood.
Lipsmackerss/Bonnebell: Well, these obviously have the best flavours in the world. Lipsmackers tend to coat onto my lips too thickly but are relatively long-lasting. They are also sticky and if using a pale coloured lipsmacker, I tend to look like a corpse. Nonetheless, one of my all-time favorites is the Lipsmacker lip gloss that looks like a little lighter. Those were awesome!! They glide on smoothly and are moisturizing, evenly spread and very yummy. I think they are discontinued though. I have tried the coloured version of lipsmackers called "Liplix by Bonnebell" but those don't last long and are kind of grainy feeling.
Natural Ice: My current favorite is "Natural Ice" in the strawberry flavour. This goes on clear and leaves a nice tingly minty feeling and comes in a convenient two-pac in case you lose one. Joanne claims it coats the lips too much, but I don't find that.
Burt's Bees: Burt's Bees chapstick was OK, but it was very grainy and felt like I was spreading peanut butter on my lips. It was also pure white which made me look seriously like a corpse. Perhaps their lip salves are better, but I hate how I have to dip my finger into the little can thing. Burt's bees is also very expensive, but it is good for the environment!!!!
The Body Shop: The body shop had some nice lipglosses out last Christmas which were nice. In general, I don't like dipping my fingers into a jar to spread on my lips as I find it rather unhygienic and sticky, but the body shop flavours were so wonderful that I made an exception (the raspberry, I beleive,was the nicest one). They also have lip butters (smaller versions of their wonderful body butters ), but I found that they do not taste as nice as one would like.
Softlips: These are found in general grocery stores and look very narrow. I found that these glide on smoothly but last all of 10 seconds in terms of moisturizers and leave a wierd waxy taste in my mouth. They also have the misfortune of resembling tampons and more than once, people have thought I dropped my tampons out of my pocket when, in fact, it was the stupid softlips. I do not like softlips and will probably not buy it again.
Loreal Rouge Pulp: I don't think these are meant as lip moisturizers and probably fall more into the category of lipglosses. THey are not very moisturizing and are kind of sticky but htey taste wonderful (like strawberries)!!!! The clear rouge pulp was my favorite. I also got a coloured one before but the clear one was better for everyday use.
Neutrogena: I really didn't like hte neutrogena chapstick. It tasted really waxy and gross and also was way too thick. You'd be better with lobello! The only pro I can think of is that it has SPF 15 (which is basically nothing so why bother?? other brands offer sun protection to, but for an indoor-trapped studnet like myself, it's not a biggie)
Rialto naturals: This is a brand that is available at Shopper's Drug mart. THey have the best and yummiest lipglosses ever!!!! They are more clear and gel-like than the BOdy Shop lip glosses, but you also need to dip your finger into the little jar to put it on your lips. Nonetheless, the mango flavour is to die for. In terms of moisture, I remember them being too yummy to last long enough on my lips to be moisturizing. Jaws eventually ate my raspberry flavoured one (boo-urns).
DuWop Lip venom: I tried some of this at Sephora in the states but I don't think it's available in Canada. It's this super spicy lip gloss that basically causes an inflammation reaction in your lips to make them more red and poofier (sort of like a collagen injection). Seeing as I have poofy lips already, it didn't do me much good (plus it was expensive) but I thought it was super neat. Use with extreme caution.
NYC/Caroline: These are super cheap brands found at your friendly local Superstore. THe only thing really going for Caroline is that it is super cheap. IT doesn't moisturize very well and it tastes like nasty lipstick. NYC is a lot better and their strawberry flavoured clear roll-on lip gloss kicks ass! IT's relatively moisturizing (which is wierd for a lip gloss) and it stays shiny for about 2 hours (not bad for something htat costs under two bucks). It is also superbly yummy (as you can tell, I'm obsessed with strawberry flavoured lipstuff) and comes in other flavours like kiwi, punch, watermelon and something else I can't remember.
Vaseline intensive lipcare: These don't seem to be as popular in the stores as they used to be. I remember them as being really cool cus you'd squeeze a bit out and spread it on with a rounded tip. They were relatively moisturizing but kind of greasy and sticky. Not too bad though. I wouldn't mind getting more if I can find it anywhere!
And that concludes my review of some of the many chapsticks I've tried. Should I fail Histology and Biochem next week, I can at leat have the legitimate excuse that it was all in the name of chapstick.
And now, off for a well deserved nap. It's gotta be in the genes Jo cus I feel like hibernating and laying on fat in the winter too. It is -20 outside today and supposed -28 with windchill. It took all my self-will to leave my apartment this morning. Damned avacado toque has made its inevitable return.
Take care everyone! Good luck with finals. And for goodness sakes, don't wait till the last minute to study. Take it from someone who's been on the dark side (And is probably still there).
PS: I got to play with llamas today. LLAMAFACE! They are simply adorable, but I was quickly made aware of thier sex lives which ruined them completely for me. My prof stood there making llama orgasm sounds for about ten minutes. Apparently, llama sex lasts between 45 minutes to an hour and the males have a special compound in their semen which causes the females to ovulate. Otherwise, the females don't ovulate and their ova just regress in their ovaries. Pretty nifty stuff. Oh, and when llamas spit, they're actually puking their stomach juice all over you. I'm serious! They kind of throw up in their mouths and then spit it at you. Memories of one fateful day when I was about 5 years old and standing in a petting zoo with a pissed-off llama come to my mind. I am mortified to know that what was gooey and all over my face was actually llama stomach juice. And that's when I knew I wanted to be a vet . . . yeah right. What am I doing here?


2 Comments:
Hey Vivian,
Thanks for taking time out and posting so much information about different types of chapsticks! I will head out to my local drugstore to try out a few!
I had no idea there were so many different kinds. I usually ride the winter out and hope nothing gets too dry in the process. By the way Vivian I wrote my lab final for the Zool 351 (aquatic inverts), worth 40%, on Tuesday, and I got the highest mark, of 101%. Additionally, the class has mounted a mutiny against me.
If I wrote the test things would be different, and the average would be much lower.
Post a Comment
<< Home