Curiosity killed the cat. Or maybe it was me.
I've still got blisters on my hands from climbing over reading week. This wasn't really a big problem until I had to do my first surgery today. Alright so it was a surgery on a dead cat. But still! We had to wear scrubs (mine are eggplant purple thank you very much) and practice sterile technique and everything!
The painful bit came in when i was doing my mandatory 5 minute scrub. My hand started bleeding and the iodine soap was burning me.
All this for a dead cat.
Of course, the moment I sliced into the cat, I freaked out cus instead of intestines, I was faced with this giant white bluish mass. I poked at it and felt something inside the mass. I palpated more and felt a little paw slipping around under the surface of the mass.
Turns out the cat was pregnant when it died. The mass was the giant uterus which was filled with no less than four dead kittens. Every single one had hair and was almost ready to be born. Fun times.
We asked the supervising surgeon if we were allowed to cut it open and pretend to do a caesarean. I got one of the fetuses out and it was a male. I cut it's umbilical cord and examined the little guy for a while before trying to shove it back into the uterus. Ever tried shoving a dead kitten back into the uterus of a dead cat?
Felt really wrong on so many levels.
Anyways, four hours later, we were done our "surgery". I'm glad the cat was dead cus if it hadn't been, I'm sure I would have killed it. Maybe I should just quit vet school now and go become a butcher as that seems to be my true calling.
But then I wouldn't be able to wear my cool purple scrubs.
More interestingly, they actually have a site on the web that tells you what to do should you come upon a dead cat. Go figure. I guess someone's gotta know.
I have a student's assocation meeting in a few minutes. They're going to decide whether to give my World Vets team money. I'm the only one from my team on the association so I guess I'm sort of the sacrificial lamb. I spent three hours getting interrogated last time and that was when my whole team was there. I'm not looking forward to tonight.
Other total bummer thing?
I'm going to miss the Our Lady Peace concert yet AGAIN! BLAAAAAARRRRRGH! I have yet to see them live. I'm leaving for India the morning of May 1st and guess when they're playing in Calgary. BBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
STAAAAAAAAAAMOOOOOOSSSSSSS!!!!!!! (watch Clone High if you didn't get that reference).
The other big news going around town is that the U of S newspaper (The Sheaf) posted a highly controversial cartoon in last week's issue. I thought Feroza might be interested in all this. Not quite as big as the Danish anti-Muslim cartoon, but close enough. It's like Saskatoon's mini-version of that. Our paper's chief editor was forced to resign and a blog site has gone up to tell people to boycott the paper altogether. My opinion? I say they were right in making a stink about it but they really shouldn't force the poor editor to resign. It's getting ridiculous and really, I think it turns more ppl off Christianity than if they just let the thing go.
Ok. Gotta go now. My fingers are getting sore and I am starting to get the shakes. Climbing took more out of me than I thought! Well, that and I had to dig my car out of the snow here yesterday. Fortunately, some nice guy came by and offered to help tow me out of my spot. Gotta love the friendly Saskatonians around town.
Did I mention I'll be taking a fire-arms course next next weekend? It's a two day course and after that, I'll be liscenced to shoot. Oh yeah.
Peace out everyone.
Moment of silence for Fluffy and her four kittens.
The painful bit came in when i was doing my mandatory 5 minute scrub. My hand started bleeding and the iodine soap was burning me.
All this for a dead cat.
Of course, the moment I sliced into the cat, I freaked out cus instead of intestines, I was faced with this giant white bluish mass. I poked at it and felt something inside the mass. I palpated more and felt a little paw slipping around under the surface of the mass.
Turns out the cat was pregnant when it died. The mass was the giant uterus which was filled with no less than four dead kittens. Every single one had hair and was almost ready to be born. Fun times.
We asked the supervising surgeon if we were allowed to cut it open and pretend to do a caesarean. I got one of the fetuses out and it was a male. I cut it's umbilical cord and examined the little guy for a while before trying to shove it back into the uterus. Ever tried shoving a dead kitten back into the uterus of a dead cat?
Felt really wrong on so many levels.
Anyways, four hours later, we were done our "surgery". I'm glad the cat was dead cus if it hadn't been, I'm sure I would have killed it. Maybe I should just quit vet school now and go become a butcher as that seems to be my true calling.
But then I wouldn't be able to wear my cool purple scrubs.
More interestingly, they actually have a site on the web that tells you what to do should you come upon a dead cat. Go figure. I guess someone's gotta know.
I have a student's assocation meeting in a few minutes. They're going to decide whether to give my World Vets team money. I'm the only one from my team on the association so I guess I'm sort of the sacrificial lamb. I spent three hours getting interrogated last time and that was when my whole team was there. I'm not looking forward to tonight.
Other total bummer thing?
I'm going to miss the Our Lady Peace concert yet AGAIN! BLAAAAAARRRRRGH! I have yet to see them live. I'm leaving for India the morning of May 1st and guess when they're playing in Calgary. BBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
STAAAAAAAAAAMOOOOOOSSSSSSS!!!!!!! (watch Clone High if you didn't get that reference).
The other big news going around town is that the U of S newspaper (The Sheaf) posted a highly controversial cartoon in last week's issue. I thought Feroza might be interested in all this. Not quite as big as the Danish anti-Muslim cartoon, but close enough. It's like Saskatoon's mini-version of that. Our paper's chief editor was forced to resign and a blog site has gone up to tell people to boycott the paper altogether. My opinion? I say they were right in making a stink about it but they really shouldn't force the poor editor to resign. It's getting ridiculous and really, I think it turns more ppl off Christianity than if they just let the thing go.
Ok. Gotta go now. My fingers are getting sore and I am starting to get the shakes. Climbing took more out of me than I thought! Well, that and I had to dig my car out of the snow here yesterday. Fortunately, some nice guy came by and offered to help tow me out of my spot. Gotta love the friendly Saskatonians around town.
Did I mention I'll be taking a fire-arms course next next weekend? It's a two day course and after that, I'll be liscenced to shoot. Oh yeah.
Peace out everyone.
Moment of silence for Fluffy and her four kittens.


1 Comments:
Sweet, if you pass then you and I can go shooting together, up till now I have always went with me Pa and various other older male relatives.
Post a Comment
<< Home