The last day
It was my last day at the clinic on Tuesday and there was much hugging, icecream cake and random gifts. My boss bought me a nice gift certificate from Chapters (so I can finally buy Harry Potter!) and he gave it to me all bashfully and then bolted up stairs to his office.
I waited around all summer for an emergency case and finally, on my last day, one showed up.
I was prepping a super pregnant cat for her spay when the receptionist started shouting over the intercom "We need a vet out front right now!".
So the Columbian vet went out front and then she came running back in a few seconds later with this chocolate lab that had a giant barbed fish hook stuck in its mouth. The lab was freaking out and jumping everywhere and the hook ended up getting caught on the pockets of the Columbian vet's scrub pants and next thing you know, blood goes everywhere and the hook is now stuck in the vet's pants while the dog is spraying blood all over the place.
My boss shouted at me, "GET THE PREGNANT CAT OFF THE TABLE! WE NEED TO GET THIS DOG DOWN FAST!" So I shoved the cat into the surgery room and then I drew up some anesthetic and it took three of us to pin down the dog and finally find a vein and inject the stuff.
Of course, the dog was so excited that even though I'd drawn up an extra 2cc's of the drug, it was still freaking out and totally awake after we'd given the drug so I drew up another 5cc's but it wouldn't let me get near its leg anymore so in the end, we pinned it down and gassed it down with isofluorane.
It was bleeding out of its mouth everywhere and the whole mask filled with bloody saliva foamy stuff and FINALLY she fell asleep. And then she stopped bleeding cus her blood pressure went down from the gas and we couldn't find the hole in her mouth.
We took the mask off.
And she woke up again and started bleeding even more than before and smeared bloody saliva all over me and my scrub top and so we gave her a shot of butorphanol and this wicked sedative and gassed her down again.
We finally found where it was bleeding and cauterized it and stitched it and then I only gave her half a dose of the reversal for the sedative and she suddenly woke up and ran around bashing into things before I dragged her and wrestled her into one of the kennels and she started bonking around the kennel like crazy.
I swear that dog was part rhino or something.
Anyhow, quite an eventful last day. I also got to repair an umbilical hernia and neuter a dog. Wheeee. That's right. It's Dr. Vivian Lau, surgeon extraordinaire. Not quite. Almost killed a miniature schnauzer in surgery yesterday but that is a tale that will wait for another day.
In the meantime, I am off to pick up Gabe from the chestermere med clinic. He's finally off work that keener.
Off to Palau in two days! AHHHHHHHHHH!
I waited around all summer for an emergency case and finally, on my last day, one showed up.
I was prepping a super pregnant cat for her spay when the receptionist started shouting over the intercom "We need a vet out front right now!".
So the Columbian vet went out front and then she came running back in a few seconds later with this chocolate lab that had a giant barbed fish hook stuck in its mouth. The lab was freaking out and jumping everywhere and the hook ended up getting caught on the pockets of the Columbian vet's scrub pants and next thing you know, blood goes everywhere and the hook is now stuck in the vet's pants while the dog is spraying blood all over the place.
My boss shouted at me, "GET THE PREGNANT CAT OFF THE TABLE! WE NEED TO GET THIS DOG DOWN FAST!" So I shoved the cat into the surgery room and then I drew up some anesthetic and it took three of us to pin down the dog and finally find a vein and inject the stuff.
Of course, the dog was so excited that even though I'd drawn up an extra 2cc's of the drug, it was still freaking out and totally awake after we'd given the drug so I drew up another 5cc's but it wouldn't let me get near its leg anymore so in the end, we pinned it down and gassed it down with isofluorane.
It was bleeding out of its mouth everywhere and the whole mask filled with bloody saliva foamy stuff and FINALLY she fell asleep. And then she stopped bleeding cus her blood pressure went down from the gas and we couldn't find the hole in her mouth.
We took the mask off.
And she woke up again and started bleeding even more than before and smeared bloody saliva all over me and my scrub top and so we gave her a shot of butorphanol and this wicked sedative and gassed her down again.
We finally found where it was bleeding and cauterized it and stitched it and then I only gave her half a dose of the reversal for the sedative and she suddenly woke up and ran around bashing into things before I dragged her and wrestled her into one of the kennels and she started bonking around the kennel like crazy.
I swear that dog was part rhino or something.
Anyhow, quite an eventful last day. I also got to repair an umbilical hernia and neuter a dog. Wheeee. That's right. It's Dr. Vivian Lau, surgeon extraordinaire. Not quite. Almost killed a miniature schnauzer in surgery yesterday but that is a tale that will wait for another day.
In the meantime, I am off to pick up Gabe from the chestermere med clinic. He's finally off work that keener.
Off to Palau in two days! AHHHHHHHHHH!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home