Free time what?
Today, I spent 13 hours at school. And today was a good day.
I got back from PEI at 8pm on Sunday night and immediately the next morning at 7:30am, I was launched into my first small animal surgery rotation. I am on four weeks of small animal surgery, then four weeks of small animal medicine duty. Basically, my life for the next 8 weeks will be hell. I get to school every day by 7am (or earlier) and then leave again at about 10pm or so. Every fourth night, I am expected to stay at the school till midnight (though in reality, I ended up staying till 2:30am) to be on call for emergencies. And then I have to show up for rounds the next morning at 7am again.
Did I mention that I stay over night at the school on some weekends and do 12 hour shifts?
FUN FUN FUN.
Some days, I have time to scarf down a few cookies and a glass of soy milk before I head out. Usually, I just eat protein bar for lunch and dinner (that's one bar that equals two meals).
I wanted to lose some weight but this is ridiculous!
If I'm lucky, some pizza talks will have left overs and I can scavenge some cold congealed pizza at school, otherwise, I live off of the stash of granola bars in my locker.
The only benefit to not having time to drink water is that I only have to pee twice a day.
My thoughts are:
-how long can I last like this?
-am I fit to be doing surgery on poor innocent animals after getting only 4 hours of sleep a night for 3 days in a row? should I even be driving myself home at 3 in the morning after being at school for 20 hours?
-what is it all for?
Anyhow, I'm surviving. Apparently, I'm on the easy small animal surgery part right now. It only gets worse.
Hooray.
I was thinking of doing a small animal internship after this year but my experience this week has made me seriously reconsider it. I kind of like having a life.
Haven't spoken to Gabe in three weeks. Haven't spoken to my parents in goodness knows how long. Had to find out from one of the waitresses at our restaurant that they are away on holiday in the Dominican Republic right now and won't be back till Sunday.
At least I still have my sanity, but not for long . . . not for long . . .
adieu.
I got back from PEI at 8pm on Sunday night and immediately the next morning at 7:30am, I was launched into my first small animal surgery rotation. I am on four weeks of small animal surgery, then four weeks of small animal medicine duty. Basically, my life for the next 8 weeks will be hell. I get to school every day by 7am (or earlier) and then leave again at about 10pm or so. Every fourth night, I am expected to stay at the school till midnight (though in reality, I ended up staying till 2:30am) to be on call for emergencies. And then I have to show up for rounds the next morning at 7am again.
Did I mention that I stay over night at the school on some weekends and do 12 hour shifts?
FUN FUN FUN.
Some days, I have time to scarf down a few cookies and a glass of soy milk before I head out. Usually, I just eat protein bar for lunch and dinner (that's one bar that equals two meals).
I wanted to lose some weight but this is ridiculous!
If I'm lucky, some pizza talks will have left overs and I can scavenge some cold congealed pizza at school, otherwise, I live off of the stash of granola bars in my locker.
The only benefit to not having time to drink water is that I only have to pee twice a day.
My thoughts are:
-how long can I last like this?
-am I fit to be doing surgery on poor innocent animals after getting only 4 hours of sleep a night for 3 days in a row? should I even be driving myself home at 3 in the morning after being at school for 20 hours?
-what is it all for?
Anyhow, I'm surviving. Apparently, I'm on the easy small animal surgery part right now. It only gets worse.
Hooray.
I was thinking of doing a small animal internship after this year but my experience this week has made me seriously reconsider it. I kind of like having a life.
Haven't spoken to Gabe in three weeks. Haven't spoken to my parents in goodness knows how long. Had to find out from one of the waitresses at our restaurant that they are away on holiday in the Dominican Republic right now and won't be back till Sunday.
At least I still have my sanity, but not for long . . . not for long . . .
adieu.


4 Comments:
"am I fit to be doing surgery on poor innocent animals after getting only 4 hours of sleep a night for 3 days in a row? should I even be driving myself home at 3 in the morning after being at school for 20 hours?"
This is why you should never. ever. let a resident serve you in a hospital.
-James
hang in there Vivicans
SAVE THE WEE TURTLES!!!
Well, I guess you're in Sask... in which case, save the wee cows!!!
-Lima
Talk about stress! I hope you get more time to eat and sleep! Fruit to Go bars are on sale at Safeway - a whole giant box for $9.99.
They're not as good as meal replacement bars, but they're a yummy dessert/snack.
~fe
Post a Comment
<< Home