DEER HUNTER USA!!!
Almost every time I've driven to Saskatoon by myself, I've almost been killed.
The first time I drove out, a huge gust of wind blew a semi so that it's trailer was teetering on two wheels IN MY LANE and I managed to swerve my car to the right only seconds before I would have been pulverised. It missed my car by about two inches and sent rocks spewing onto my newly replaced windshield.
The second time, my own stupidity got me trying to pass a car on an undivided highway without checking to see if there were cars in the opposing lane first. My bad, but a rush nonetheless.
This weekend, however, it was again out of my control and a herd of deer decided to walk out onto the highway at a curve in the road. I was doing 110 km/hr and just turned around the bend in the road when I saw the first deer take a step out on the road. I slammed on my breaks and swerved to the left, narrowly missing it by 2 feet. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw that the deer was just as stunned as I was.
Blasted ruminants.
So after my intoxicating adrenaline surge, the rest of my drive was rather uneventful. I did start hallucinating near the end of the 5 hours, but I survived. You may wonder what one does in a car for 5 hours besides drive. I basically look out the windows and enjoy the scenery and sing my heart out to whatever CD Joanne or Karen abandonned in the car. The prairies are absolutely gorgeous this time of year and driving through the badlands made me proud to be Albertan.
I also amused myself by counting roadkill. I lost count after 20. My favorite roadkill was the white rabbit that was all stiff and had it's legs pointed into the air. My second favorite was the skunk that stunk up about two miles of highway. Probably the most disgusting was the Richardson's ground squirrel that had its head smushed into the ground and then 50 feet later had its body smeared everywhere.
*pauses for grunts of disgust*
At any rate, I arrived back into Saskatoon at 10:45pm safe (but not sound). Even Ranger seemed more neurotic (if that's possible).
It's only been two days since the weekend but it feels like it's been much longer. I've already written a midterm, handed in an assignment and have another assignment due tomorrow . . . and all I can think about is the beer in my fridge and all the movies Hugh burnt for me this weekend.
I also got an e-mail from my prof saying he screwed up our marks and that there is a 13/30 chance that my mark dropped. I wish they'd learn how to read the class roster properly. Sheesh. And they all have PhDs!!!!!!!
Well, that's all for now from the 'Toon. There is a "HOEDOWN" party this weekend where we all hop on a bus and go to a barn and dress "western" and two-step the night away. I stilll havent decided whether to go or not. For one thing, I don't own boots or a hat and for another, CAN YOU SEE ME TWO-STEPPING?! CAN YOU? Right, neither could I.
There's also the Bovine Club end-of-year party this weekend. This is the same club that was selling big belt buckles and vests for their fundraiser. Their year-end party poster boasts "LINE DANCING" and a "TACO BAR" and my personal favorite, "OUR VERY OWN 'DEER HUNTER USA' ARCADE MACHINE!"
If that's not hick, I dont know what is.
Alas, I must go. Neuroscience waits for no one.
Au Revoir and happy deer hunting to you all.
-Vivian &Ranger
PS: I saw the Easter bunny on Sunday night!!!!! I SWEAR I really saw him! He was in a parking lot in Chinatown and my parents and I were just walking out of a restaurant (lovely 'traditional' Easter dinner of sushi) when I saw him hopping around in the parking lot across from Sakana grill and nibbling on the bushes there. I walked up to him to see if he'd go "bok bok" for me but he ran away. He left some chocolate eggs in the bushes for me but I soon realised they weren't chocolate. . .
The first time I drove out, a huge gust of wind blew a semi so that it's trailer was teetering on two wheels IN MY LANE and I managed to swerve my car to the right only seconds before I would have been pulverised. It missed my car by about two inches and sent rocks spewing onto my newly replaced windshield.
The second time, my own stupidity got me trying to pass a car on an undivided highway without checking to see if there were cars in the opposing lane first. My bad, but a rush nonetheless.
This weekend, however, it was again out of my control and a herd of deer decided to walk out onto the highway at a curve in the road. I was doing 110 km/hr and just turned around the bend in the road when I saw the first deer take a step out on the road. I slammed on my breaks and swerved to the left, narrowly missing it by 2 feet. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw that the deer was just as stunned as I was.
Blasted ruminants.
So after my intoxicating adrenaline surge, the rest of my drive was rather uneventful. I did start hallucinating near the end of the 5 hours, but I survived. You may wonder what one does in a car for 5 hours besides drive. I basically look out the windows and enjoy the scenery and sing my heart out to whatever CD Joanne or Karen abandonned in the car. The prairies are absolutely gorgeous this time of year and driving through the badlands made me proud to be Albertan.
I also amused myself by counting roadkill. I lost count after 20. My favorite roadkill was the white rabbit that was all stiff and had it's legs pointed into the air. My second favorite was the skunk that stunk up about two miles of highway. Probably the most disgusting was the Richardson's ground squirrel that had its head smushed into the ground and then 50 feet later had its body smeared everywhere.
*pauses for grunts of disgust*
At any rate, I arrived back into Saskatoon at 10:45pm safe (but not sound). Even Ranger seemed more neurotic (if that's possible).
It's only been two days since the weekend but it feels like it's been much longer. I've already written a midterm, handed in an assignment and have another assignment due tomorrow . . . and all I can think about is the beer in my fridge and all the movies Hugh burnt for me this weekend.
I also got an e-mail from my prof saying he screwed up our marks and that there is a 13/30 chance that my mark dropped. I wish they'd learn how to read the class roster properly. Sheesh. And they all have PhDs!!!!!!!
Well, that's all for now from the 'Toon. There is a "HOEDOWN" party this weekend where we all hop on a bus and go to a barn and dress "western" and two-step the night away. I stilll havent decided whether to go or not. For one thing, I don't own boots or a hat and for another, CAN YOU SEE ME TWO-STEPPING?! CAN YOU? Right, neither could I.
There's also the Bovine Club end-of-year party this weekend. This is the same club that was selling big belt buckles and vests for their fundraiser. Their year-end party poster boasts "LINE DANCING" and a "TACO BAR" and my personal favorite, "OUR VERY OWN 'DEER HUNTER USA' ARCADE MACHINE!"
If that's not hick, I dont know what is.
Alas, I must go. Neuroscience waits for no one.
Au Revoir and happy deer hunting to you all.
-Vivian &Ranger
PS: I saw the Easter bunny on Sunday night!!!!! I SWEAR I really saw him! He was in a parking lot in Chinatown and my parents and I were just walking out of a restaurant (lovely 'traditional' Easter dinner of sushi) when I saw him hopping around in the parking lot across from Sakana grill and nibbling on the bushes there. I walked up to him to see if he'd go "bok bok" for me but he ran away. He left some chocolate eggs in the bushes for me but I soon realised they weren't chocolate. . .


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home