The bookworm comes out of hibernation
Nearly a year after my internship, I'm finally starting to relax and enjoy life again. I just had two lovely days off and for the first time in months, it was warm enough (and snowless enough) for me to go for a run outside.

I ran from Gabe's apartment all the way down to the inner harbour and back again and fully appreciated the feel of sunlight on my face, wind in my hair and all the sights and smells (good and bad) that running along the industrial atlantic waterfront had to offer.
My favorite part was watching a group of happy dogs running around chasing frisbees and mindlessly bounding in the grass. I tried to emulate their elated exercise attitude but failed miserably as I am horribly out of shape. Running on a treadmill all winter made me feel invincible but trying to run for 30 minutes outside has proven me sadly wrong.
I've been nursing my sore muscles back to health by reclining on the couch and catching up on all the good books I've been meaning to read but never had a chance to over the last year.
In the last two weeks, I've managed to get through:

"The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold (disturbing but an awesome read),

"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (very cool characters and appealed to the silly romantic in me),

"The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" (third of the "Girl with the dragon tattoo" series) by Stieg Larsson (in which the name of every character sounds like a piece of Ikea furniture),

"The Shack" by William P. Young (totally not what I was expecting but a good read nonetheless),

"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein (made me miss having a dog very very badly; highly recommended to everyone),

and "Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief" by Rick Riordan (a bit disappointing but entertaining nonetheless. What can I say? It's a children's book).
Despite all my reading, I realize there are still a zillion books out there for me to read! It seems like just as I finish one, I'll think of another one that I've been meaning to read and the whole vicious cycle starts again.
I keep finding more important things to spend my wages on and as a result, haven't bothered getting myself an Amazon Kindle yet. Gabe is horrified, but I've been reading all of these books on my iphone using the Amazon kindle app. Yes, my eyes are hating me right about now.
Which means I should probably get off this computer and get some sleep before my 8am shift tomorrow. Blech.
I ran from Gabe's apartment all the way down to the inner harbour and back again and fully appreciated the feel of sunlight on my face, wind in my hair and all the sights and smells (good and bad) that running along the industrial atlantic waterfront had to offer.
My favorite part was watching a group of happy dogs running around chasing frisbees and mindlessly bounding in the grass. I tried to emulate their elated exercise attitude but failed miserably as I am horribly out of shape. Running on a treadmill all winter made me feel invincible but trying to run for 30 minutes outside has proven me sadly wrong.
I've been nursing my sore muscles back to health by reclining on the couch and catching up on all the good books I've been meaning to read but never had a chance to over the last year.
In the last two weeks, I've managed to get through:

"The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold (disturbing but an awesome read),

"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (very cool characters and appealed to the silly romantic in me),
"The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" (third of the "Girl with the dragon tattoo" series) by Stieg Larsson (in which the name of every character sounds like a piece of Ikea furniture),

"The Shack" by William P. Young (totally not what I was expecting but a good read nonetheless),

"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein (made me miss having a dog very very badly; highly recommended to everyone),
and "Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief" by Rick Riordan (a bit disappointing but entertaining nonetheless. What can I say? It's a children's book).
Despite all my reading, I realize there are still a zillion books out there for me to read! It seems like just as I finish one, I'll think of another one that I've been meaning to read and the whole vicious cycle starts again.
I keep finding more important things to spend my wages on and as a result, haven't bothered getting myself an Amazon Kindle yet. Gabe is horrified, but I've been reading all of these books on my iphone using the Amazon kindle app. Yes, my eyes are hating me right about now.
Which means I should probably get off this computer and get some sleep before my 8am shift tomorrow. Blech.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home