
Oof.
Just got home from work and it's . . . 2:30am. This is the second time in the last year that I've had to treat two dogs that were running side by side and were hit by a car at the same time. All I can say is: WTF?!
Within my 8 hour shift, I got:
- two hit-by-cars in shock (one has a broken leg and head trauma and the other may have a ruptured urinary bladder)
- a proptosed eye ball (eye out of socket)
- a fatal dogfight injury
- a dog getting eaten alive by maggots from the inside out (worst case of myiasis I've seen yet- the patient opened its eyes and all I could see were hundreds of maggots crawling and falling out at me, then I realised they were swarming in the ears and between the toes and all under the forehead, I think I'm going to have nightmares for years to come)
- a hemoabdomen (internal bleeding, needed emergency surgery which thankfully, my boss stayed late and helped me do)
- a broken leg
- did CPR (unsuccessfully) on two patients
- had to deal with two crazy owners (no seriously, I think they were legally/medically crazy)
- saw all my regular scheduled appointments, discharged my in patients, and returned all my phone calls.
My receptionist had to turn people away cus new emergencies kept showing up past our closing hours and there was no light at the end of the tunnel. We had to keep the door unlocked past 10pm for all the owners in the waiting room and everyone laughed when some guy walked in with a cat peeing blood at 11pm and my receptionist's face became a mask of panic.
At about 1:30am, I realised I'd only eaten an orange and half an apple since 11am (it took me 5 hours to finish that apple cus I kept having emergencies come in in between) and that I should probably wolf something down if I wanted to make it through the night. I also realised I hadn't gone pee from when I felt the urge 10 hours ago.
The summer vet season has definitely started and to top it all off, all my favorite technicians and receptionists are quitting. This means that we are constantly understaffed, overworked and crazy hectic.
It's been so bad that I've actually had flashbacks of my internship. That aint a good thing.
But I'm home now. Malcolm is starving cus I was supposed to be home hours ago to feed him. Gabe was on call and won't be back till 11am tomorrow morning.
I have the day off tomorrow to recuperate and with any luck, I have good enough notes in my charts that no one will call me from work tomorrow with questions or complaints.
Time to hit the showers, wash off the maggots, blood, vomit and chaos and breathe.


1 Comments:
Oh man, I have to remember not to be eating anything when I read your blogs!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home