Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A Sad Day


I've taken a day to let it sink in but I am still not completely over it. Either way, here goes. Steve Irwin is dead. Those of you that know me well know that he was sort of a hero to me. Well, as close to a hero as a cynical person like myself would ever let. The guy made a living hanging out in cool places with the world's coolest animals! He ran a zoo for goodness sakes! He had his own show and movie! More importantly, he was an activist, conservationist and dare-devil extraordinaire.

Sigh.

I remember seeing him live in Australia a few years ago. He was on his motorbike and his daughter was riding behind him. He was talking about saving whales and seals or something cool and his daughter was just sitting there smiling at all of us shyly as we crowded around her and her dad. I feel so bad for his family right now. It's weird but that's what I thought of first when I heard he'd died. Not that the world had lost a great animal-person or a great public personality, but that his poor wife and kids are now left without a husband and a father.

I should probably end this blog before I start going on again. To the Crocodile Hunter and his family, I wish the best. And for those geeks like me out there who are now left without a dare-devil animal-crazed hero, we all need to have a moment of silence for one of the great ones.

3 Comments:

Blogger Thinh said...

It is a sad day. I couldn't believe what I had heard over the radio when they announced it. I was like "Steve Irwin? Who's that again?"

At first I thought it was the geeky guy off of Family Matter's but that was Steve Urkel, and that wasn't even his real name. So I'm not sure why I even thought of that in the first place.

But it is a sad day when the world loses someone as cool and as passionate as Steve Irwin. The way he went out of this world really puts some meaning to the say: Only God knows when you'll be seeing him.

What a freak accident. I didn't even know that Stingrays could do that. I thought you had to step on their barb while they were on the seafloor for it to inflict a wound. I know this sounds gruesome, but I'd actually like to see the video of how he died...

Anyways I hope you feel better Vivian! *Hug*

7:32 a.m.  
Blogger Anh said...

Hey Viv,

It's really sad that he's gone, but at the same time, it's not because he's one of the very few who lived his life with passion and did what he loved. Not many people do. I think it's sadder when people die without realizing or following what they love.

Steve Irwin's light is so bright that it'll keep shining for ages.

10:32 a.m.  
Blogger Ptilonyssus said...

It is sad, and I as well thought of his nice family. btw his father refuses for Steve to have a State funeral, he says Steve was a normal guy, and he wouldn't want a State funeral.

10:48 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

I'm an insane vet stuck in an insane world with an equally insane bunny (who is now only with us in spirit)



Confessions of an Overachiever
Journogirl
No Cash Value
Frying Sheep
The Ethnography of Me
Pomegranate
All about me...and others
Lagerstatten
Drive
Jen and John's wedding blog
Post Secret
WCHS people
time-wastey goodness
Devil ducky
Weebls
Sudoku
Scrubs character quiz
PBF
Rotten Tomatoes
Pandora
Web.tickle

artsy fartsy silly stuff
Pixelgirl
Deviant art
Popyura
Yumiko
Project Gutenberg
My Flickr page

shopping
Paper-doll
Pixelgirl shop
Chapters/Indigo
Snazzy-girl
OMG I want it

geeking out
Tree of Life
National Geographic
MerckVetManual
CIA World Factbook
Agripedia
Google Maps
Yahoo widgets
            
 

Powered by Blogger

Free Blog Counter