Friday, March 23, 2007

IT'S VETZILLA!




The last few days have been super hectic here in the'Toon cus my school's hosting their Open House Vet-o-rama type thing this weekend. Every three years, we open the doors to the college to the general public and practically the whole town comes out to check out stuff going on at our school. The students set up booths everywhere featuring silly things like piglets, a model of a cow stomach, an actual cow with a giant hole in her side so you can stick your arm into her (my roommate is on that booth) and a model of an MRI machine that you can lie inside of.

We've been prepping for this weekend since last year and it's a BIG DEAL.

My booth is the exotics and pocket pet booth. We got some of my classmates and other vet students to bring in their snake, degus (little squirrel/chinchilla things from Chile), chinchillas, bunnies (OMG! one of them is part Angora and it's ADORABLE!)
and frogs and newts. It's quite the collection and occasionally, I bring in our hawk from the wildlife care club at school and I make up random factoids about birds and spew them off to kids while trying to keep the hawk latched to my arm so she doesn't attack anyone.

It's quite fun actually.

All the leementary schools and high schools in town organize field trips and we get kids by the bus-full coming through. They're expecting some 6,000 plus people to come through my school in the next four days. Pretty cool.

The problem is that this thing is on for four days straight and everyday (except Sunday), all the vet students have to be at the school from 8am to 8pm to run the booths. They've cancelled all our classes for the next two days and the fourth years have been given leave to be absent from some of their rotations.

And on top of standing at my booth all day, I'm also responsible for giving a world vets presentation for the next three nights about our trip to India. Last night, we gave our first presentation and a whopping FOUR people showed up. We're gonna wear our saris all day today to advertise so hopefully more people show up.

The "pre-vet" kids from Deadmonton are coming up in a giant bus load today and since the world vets talk is right before the pre-vet talk, we're hoping to get more than four sad souls in the audience.

I spent more than 12 hours at school yesterday cus I had to get there by 7:45am to set up my booth and to pick up a sari petticoat from my anatomy prof's wife (she was super nice and showed us how to put on our saris and even managed to find a petticoat to match my sari for me! plus she fed me chai!).

So at about 8:30pm, I finally left the college and said my goodbyes to the little chinchilla in our display booth that I fell in love with (he took a piece of hay from me and scampered back into his burrow and nibbled at it furiously).


After our pitiful presentation, the group of us that went to India decided to try out the local Indian restaurant and for hte first time since I left India, I actually ate Indian food. And I didn't throw up or get nauseas or anything! It was AWESOME! So curry is back on my food list. Still not fond of the Indian pickles, but curry is definitely back on hte list.

We then headed back to Judy's apartment to watch this classic bollywood film that our prof lent us but we were all so gorked that we only made it through 2 hours of singing and dancing before we called it quits and headed home.

Today, I am only responsible for being at my booth between 1pm and 8pm with a mini-break in between for my world vet presentation at 6pm. DANI! YOU HAVE TO COME! IT'S ON FRIDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT AT 6PM IN 2302!!!!! You get to see me all dressed up like a dork in my India clothes!


And then, cus one of the guys in my class has his pilot's license . . . I'm going flying!!! WHEEEEEE!!!!!

I can't wait!!!

I just hope I don't puke.

Off to shower and get ready now.

Toodles everyone!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I take pictures and use it to blackmail you when you're a famous vet someday? Dani

2:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooo. I want to see pics of you in a sari!
~fe

8:37 a.m.  
Blogger Jo said...

Umm....call me crazy but does putting hawks and snakes in a booth with "pocket pets" not sound like a wee bit of a recipe for disaster??

Anyhow, hope it all went well! Better do a tally of all the pocket pets and make sure none are missing!

4:05 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

I'm an insane vet stuck in an insane world with an equally insane bunny (who is now only with us in spirit)



Confessions of an Overachiever
Journogirl
No Cash Value
Frying Sheep
The Ethnography of Me
Pomegranate
All about me...and others
Lagerstatten
Drive
Jen and John's wedding blog
Post Secret
WCHS people
time-wastey goodness
Devil ducky
Weebls
Sudoku
Scrubs character quiz
PBF
Rotten Tomatoes
Pandora
Web.tickle

artsy fartsy silly stuff
Pixelgirl
Deviant art
Popyura
Yumiko
Project Gutenberg
My Flickr page

shopping
Paper-doll
Pixelgirl shop
Chapters/Indigo
Snazzy-girl
OMG I want it

geeking out
Tree of Life
National Geographic
MerckVetManual
CIA World Factbook
Agripedia
Google Maps
Yahoo widgets
            
 

Powered by Blogger

Free Blog Counter