Happiness=Cake in mah belly
Currently sitting in Gabe's super old apartment in the upper east side waiting for my Italian food delivery order to come. Oh yes. I'm fitting into NY life quite nicely. I've also adopted a mean "subway" face so as not to have weirdos talk to me. I learned my lesson after this one nut last week spent a half hour talking to me and asking me the most invasive questions I have ever had to answer to a complete stranger.
Now I know. Mean face. Always carry a book.
So what am I doing sitting on my ass waiting for take-out when I should be slaving away at work? Well, believe it or not, I finally have a day off!!!!!
Technically, it was two days off but I decided to cut my losses 21 hours into my Thursday shift and go home to sleep. As a result, I had to come in on Friday till 6:30pm to finish my paper work and my assignment for my fellow Canadian in the building who happens to be the senior surgical resident who also happened to give me an assignment on the last day of my surgery rotation!
What happened? I thought we were supposed to have each others' back! Boooooo Ontarians.
Ontarian bashing aside, I have actually started to enjoy my time down here. Sure, I work crazy hours and am pretty much the bottom of any and every totem pole in sight, but somehow, I've gotten used to it. Perhaps I've just numbed myself.
But alas! Just as I've gotten used to how the surgery department works, they are transferring me to oncology starting Monday for three weeks. Oncology is a fancy term for the "study of cancer" and basically, I'll be treating animals with cancer all day, every day for the next three weeks. It's a bit depressing but rather noble. Noble in that we're trying to make these suffering creatures a bit more comfortable and give them a bit more time before the inevitable.
After Jaws died while I was away in Saskatoon, I realised just how important it is to have some time to say goodbye. Even if you know how it's going to end eventually.
But on to happier topics. Tomorrow is my emergency shift (wait, that's not happy!) and I work from 7am till 6pm which probably means I'll be there till midnight. The good thing about working Sundays, however, is that one of the techs in the ICU brings a full course homemade breakfast and lunch buffet for us! We eat it off little paper pill trays with tongue depressors but damnit! It's DELISH!
My favorite part is that she usually buys two giant dessert cakes which she then leaves out for the rest of the night for me to nibble on as i'm running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I usually polish them off by around 1am amidst comments from the techs like "You're the only one still eating it, why don't you just take the whole damned tray to your office and just finish it off!" to which I respond (between mouthfuls) "Mmpf-K!"
Nothing like cake when you're stuck at work doing paper work 6 hours past the end of your shift. (See Salima? I can only lose so much weight before my cake drive kicks in too!)
Meanwhile, my take-out Italian food has been delivered (by a Mexican- again, how NY is that?). MMmmmmmm delicious fresh mozza and tomato salad. And ricotta cheesecake . . .
Damn it.
Cake IS the key to happiness.
A very disjointed and random blog I'm afraid. But then again, that's how my life is at the moment!
I shall try to update you all again when I have some down time (snort!) again.
Lynda and Lucy, I had a lovely time with you guys last weekend. For the rest of you, you are welcome to visit me whenever you can!!!
Now I know. Mean face. Always carry a book.
So what am I doing sitting on my ass waiting for take-out when I should be slaving away at work? Well, believe it or not, I finally have a day off!!!!!
Technically, it was two days off but I decided to cut my losses 21 hours into my Thursday shift and go home to sleep. As a result, I had to come in on Friday till 6:30pm to finish my paper work and my assignment for my fellow Canadian in the building who happens to be the senior surgical resident who also happened to give me an assignment on the last day of my surgery rotation!
What happened? I thought we were supposed to have each others' back! Boooooo Ontarians.
Ontarian bashing aside, I have actually started to enjoy my time down here. Sure, I work crazy hours and am pretty much the bottom of any and every totem pole in sight, but somehow, I've gotten used to it. Perhaps I've just numbed myself.
But alas! Just as I've gotten used to how the surgery department works, they are transferring me to oncology starting Monday for three weeks. Oncology is a fancy term for the "study of cancer" and basically, I'll be treating animals with cancer all day, every day for the next three weeks. It's a bit depressing but rather noble. Noble in that we're trying to make these suffering creatures a bit more comfortable and give them a bit more time before the inevitable.
After Jaws died while I was away in Saskatoon, I realised just how important it is to have some time to say goodbye. Even if you know how it's going to end eventually.
But on to happier topics. Tomorrow is my emergency shift (wait, that's not happy!) and I work from 7am till 6pm which probably means I'll be there till midnight. The good thing about working Sundays, however, is that one of the techs in the ICU brings a full course homemade breakfast and lunch buffet for us! We eat it off little paper pill trays with tongue depressors but damnit! It's DELISH!
My favorite part is that she usually buys two giant dessert cakes which she then leaves out for the rest of the night for me to nibble on as i'm running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I usually polish them off by around 1am amidst comments from the techs like "You're the only one still eating it, why don't you just take the whole damned tray to your office and just finish it off!" to which I respond (between mouthfuls) "Mmpf-K!"
Nothing like cake when you're stuck at work doing paper work 6 hours past the end of your shift. (See Salima? I can only lose so much weight before my cake drive kicks in too!)
Meanwhile, my take-out Italian food has been delivered (by a Mexican- again, how NY is that?). MMmmmmmm delicious fresh mozza and tomato salad. And ricotta cheesecake . . .
Damn it.
Cake IS the key to happiness.
A very disjointed and random blog I'm afraid. But then again, that's how my life is at the moment!
I shall try to update you all again when I have some down time (snort!) again.
Lynda and Lucy, I had a lovely time with you guys last weekend. For the rest of you, you are welcome to visit me whenever you can!!!


2 Comments:
CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!
Man, I totally want to visit you! When are you in New York until? I'm back in Canadia in mid-Sept...
Speaking of cake that other people bring in, sort of, the people in the lab here in Japan are constantly bringing in little individually wrapped cookies, cakes, sesame crackers, etc, etc, and I CAN"T RESIST!!! I'm trying to hide the fact that I'm the one always taking the last mini-jelly-roll or mini-kit-kat-thing, stashing the wrappers away in my desk drawer... man, I should probably clean that thing out before someone opens it, and WOOSH, all the bits of silver wrappers will come flying out... And then I'll be found out!
Mmmmm...cake. I love cake too.
Hope to visit you soon once Jon is up and about.
The mean face is a good one. The book is very handy - both for reading and as a weapon! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home