FREAKING OUT HERE MAN!
Tis the start of yet another stressful week and I'm not sure whether I feed of other people's stress or if the fact that everyone is as stressed as I am actually makes me feel better.
Thing started out Monday with me sleeping in an hour and a half and walking in half-late for a lecture on SHEEEEEEEEP! Sheep sheep and more sheep. Gotta love that. Our prof is totally awesome and he has this eccentric British accent and is about 6 foot 2 and kept ranting about how great sheep were for the whole lecture and cracking sheep jokes. My idea of a perfect class.
Then, ironically enough, I was so stressed and overwhelmed with all my extracurricular activities plus my three midterms coming up that I almost forgot I had been "randomly chosen" to participate in a "Stress and the veterinary student" study being run by the Student Crisis centre.
I had to make a phone call and arrange to miss one of my other meetings and ran across the street to the Agriculture building to the stress study out of breath and frenzied. Fortunately, seeing as I had not had time to pack a decent lunch, food was supplied to us by the researchers. Suffice to say we all had tons to say about how stressed we were and the researchers felt so sorry for us that they kept shoving cake and food at us.
I'm not allowed to disclose what we discussed in the meeting so I'll just rant about how AMAZING the carrot cake was. It was moist, flavourful, had wicked cream cheese icing slathered inbetween layers and all over hte top and sides and had a licorice flavoured orange icing carrot drawn on each slice and was sprinkled with roasted coconut shreds.
I got to whine and beep about vet school AND got to eat the cake too! (or whatever that idiom is that I'm trying to bastardize. I think it was something like I got the cake and got to eat it too or something like that. Whatever.).
As you can tell from my food obsession, I'm running low on groceries and all I have left in my fridge is half an onion, a carton of eggs and a pack of tofu. Oh, and the milk I bought from the pharmacy across the street last night in a desperate attempt to finish off my last bit of cereal in my cupboards.
Tonight, we are filming the thriller dance and I freaked out last night when I went to school late to do something at 10pm. I walked down a stair well to get to the girl locker rooms and turned the corner and ran into Kurtis, one of my classmates in the Thriller skit, who was dressed like a zombie, had fake blood all over him and had a face full of white and black makeup.
Luckily, I'm a very composed and calm person (HA!) and didn't freak out. I looked outside and Alex, this really tall gangly guy in my class had toilet paper all wrapped around him and he was walking towards the camera like a mummy. Hope I didn't ruin their shot.
Meanwhile, Udderman is completed (finished at 1:30am on Saturday night in the computer lab at school, ugh!) but it looks AWESOME if I do say so myself. I'll have to show you all one day.
Tomorrow, I am heading to an elementary school to give a talk to some kiddies about wild birds and what we do with the exotics club at school. Should be fun. I asked people to save up the owl pellets from today's feedings to gross out little kids (owl pellets are the regurgitated bones and feathers and beaks that owls can't digest from their prey).
And I have a lot more I could talk about and mention but I won't. Too much stuff and not enough time. Everyone in my class has that sort of drugged out "crazy eyes" thing going on right now so I know I'm not alone.
Did I give the impression I'm an expert parasitologist? Well I'm not. I've got a midterm this Thursday and I'm screwed. It's just that given a good picture book and a bunch of good specimens, I can usually id creatures from nudibranchs to platyhelminths. You could do it too if you wanted! I'm not sure if it's a gift or if I'm just surrounded by less picture-savvy people. Unfortunately, I will not get a picture book on the exam. Just my brain. Hardly adequate. . .
-Vivian "just hook it to my veins!" Lau
PS: Played volleyball again this sunday and the annoying guy that kept blocking me last week was doing it again this week but started ordering around me and the rest of the team too. "Vivian! Stand closer to the net!" and then he told the brown guy on my team, "Rahim! you've gotta lean into the serve more." Eventually, Rahim told the guy to "F*ck off."
Gooooooo teeaaaaaaam! (needless to say, we lost sorely to the other team). Then our team captain went "good work!" to us whenever we hit the ball into the faces of the opposite team members. Me and this other guy just gaped at her like "are you serious? That girl looks like her face is all red in a giant circle around her nose. I think she needs help." and our team captain just smiled and cheered.
Gotta love sports.
Thing started out Monday with me sleeping in an hour and a half and walking in half-late for a lecture on SHEEEEEEEEP! Sheep sheep and more sheep. Gotta love that. Our prof is totally awesome and he has this eccentric British accent and is about 6 foot 2 and kept ranting about how great sheep were for the whole lecture and cracking sheep jokes. My idea of a perfect class.
Then, ironically enough, I was so stressed and overwhelmed with all my extracurricular activities plus my three midterms coming up that I almost forgot I had been "randomly chosen" to participate in a "Stress and the veterinary student" study being run by the Student Crisis centre.
I had to make a phone call and arrange to miss one of my other meetings and ran across the street to the Agriculture building to the stress study out of breath and frenzied. Fortunately, seeing as I had not had time to pack a decent lunch, food was supplied to us by the researchers. Suffice to say we all had tons to say about how stressed we were and the researchers felt so sorry for us that they kept shoving cake and food at us.
I'm not allowed to disclose what we discussed in the meeting so I'll just rant about how AMAZING the carrot cake was. It was moist, flavourful, had wicked cream cheese icing slathered inbetween layers and all over hte top and sides and had a licorice flavoured orange icing carrot drawn on each slice and was sprinkled with roasted coconut shreds.
I got to whine and beep about vet school AND got to eat the cake too! (or whatever that idiom is that I'm trying to bastardize. I think it was something like I got the cake and got to eat it too or something like that. Whatever.).
As you can tell from my food obsession, I'm running low on groceries and all I have left in my fridge is half an onion, a carton of eggs and a pack of tofu. Oh, and the milk I bought from the pharmacy across the street last night in a desperate attempt to finish off my last bit of cereal in my cupboards.
Tonight, we are filming the thriller dance and I freaked out last night when I went to school late to do something at 10pm. I walked down a stair well to get to the girl locker rooms and turned the corner and ran into Kurtis, one of my classmates in the Thriller skit, who was dressed like a zombie, had fake blood all over him and had a face full of white and black makeup.
Luckily, I'm a very composed and calm person (HA!) and didn't freak out. I looked outside and Alex, this really tall gangly guy in my class had toilet paper all wrapped around him and he was walking towards the camera like a mummy. Hope I didn't ruin their shot.
Meanwhile, Udderman is completed (finished at 1:30am on Saturday night in the computer lab at school, ugh!) but it looks AWESOME if I do say so myself. I'll have to show you all one day.
Tomorrow, I am heading to an elementary school to give a talk to some kiddies about wild birds and what we do with the exotics club at school. Should be fun. I asked people to save up the owl pellets from today's feedings to gross out little kids (owl pellets are the regurgitated bones and feathers and beaks that owls can't digest from their prey).
And I have a lot more I could talk about and mention but I won't. Too much stuff and not enough time. Everyone in my class has that sort of drugged out "crazy eyes" thing going on right now so I know I'm not alone.
Did I give the impression I'm an expert parasitologist? Well I'm not. I've got a midterm this Thursday and I'm screwed. It's just that given a good picture book and a bunch of good specimens, I can usually id creatures from nudibranchs to platyhelminths. You could do it too if you wanted! I'm not sure if it's a gift or if I'm just surrounded by less picture-savvy people. Unfortunately, I will not get a picture book on the exam. Just my brain. Hardly adequate. . .
-Vivian "just hook it to my veins!" Lau
PS: Played volleyball again this sunday and the annoying guy that kept blocking me last week was doing it again this week but started ordering around me and the rest of the team too. "Vivian! Stand closer to the net!" and then he told the brown guy on my team, "Rahim! you've gotta lean into the serve more." Eventually, Rahim told the guy to "F*ck off."
Gooooooo teeaaaaaaam! (needless to say, we lost sorely to the other team). Then our team captain went "good work!" to us whenever we hit the ball into the faces of the opposite team members. Me and this other guy just gaped at her like "are you serious? That girl looks like her face is all red in a giant circle around her nose. I think she needs help." and our team captain just smiled and cheered.
Gotta love sports.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home