The Graveyard Shift
I finally, FINALLY, received my full veterinary license in the state of New York. Previously, I had been working on the Limited Permit which allowed me to work as a vet so long as another licensed vet was in the building. That meant that I couldn't work the overnight shift yet because between the hours of 12am-7am, I would be working alone.
A mere 48hours after receiving my license certificate, I find myself sitting here in the vet hospital with no other doctors around.
I am responsible for all the patients in the hospital. There's well over 50 of them and not a few are very very sick.
I'm also responsible for running the ICU and dealing with any crashing patients in there.
I'm also responsible for all the emergencies that come in from now till 7am when the day ER doctor comes on.
I'm also scared sh*tless.
WHAT THE F*CK WAS I THINKING SIGNING UP FOR AN INTERNSHIP?!!!!
The night bells in my hospital sound whenever someone phones in or buzzes the front doors to be let in with their sick animal.
It's a horrible electrical bell similar to the ones they use in elementary schools. Previously, that sound has always been associated with good things. Things like recess and lunch hours and home time.
Now it's associated with seizuring dogs, hit-by-cars and animals with bloody vomit and diarrhea.
Now, whenever I hear that sound, I want to have seizures, be hit by a car and have vomiting and diarrhea.
It's 3:30am now. Only 4.5hours more to go. It's been (dare I jinx myself?) very quiet thus far but it's the anticipation that kills me.
I am on the overnights for 3 weeks and tonight is my first shift.
I am dreading this.
Anyhow, off I go to check on my patients again.
I think I'm going to barf.
A mere 48hours after receiving my license certificate, I find myself sitting here in the vet hospital with no other doctors around.
I am responsible for all the patients in the hospital. There's well over 50 of them and not a few are very very sick.
I'm also responsible for running the ICU and dealing with any crashing patients in there.
I'm also responsible for all the emergencies that come in from now till 7am when the day ER doctor comes on.
I'm also scared sh*tless.
WHAT THE F*CK WAS I THINKING SIGNING UP FOR AN INTERNSHIP?!!!!
The night bells in my hospital sound whenever someone phones in or buzzes the front doors to be let in with their sick animal.
It's a horrible electrical bell similar to the ones they use in elementary schools. Previously, that sound has always been associated with good things. Things like recess and lunch hours and home time.
Now it's associated with seizuring dogs, hit-by-cars and animals with bloody vomit and diarrhea.
Now, whenever I hear that sound, I want to have seizures, be hit by a car and have vomiting and diarrhea.
It's 3:30am now. Only 4.5hours more to go. It's been (dare I jinx myself?) very quiet thus far but it's the anticipation that kills me.
I am on the overnights for 3 weeks and tonight is my first shift.
I am dreading this.
Anyhow, off I go to check on my patients again.
I think I'm going to barf.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home